Whether you are a fan of Mexican food or not, a burrito is a terrific choice for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It works well as a sit-down dinner, but also makes it possible for those on the go to grab something tasty and nutritious as they walk out the door.
It makes for a delicious breakfast component because it has scrambled eggs in it. The rice and black beans offer a big boost of protein to give you energy that lasts you until lunch or beyond.
If possible, make the rice a day ahead of time, let it cool before refrigerating — which helps keep it from getting sticky — and keep it in an airtight container. You can heat it briefly in a microwave before adding it to the burrito.
This recipe calls for avocado and grated cheese, but it can be customized easily with any ingredient you like and remain nutritious. Consider adding diced roasted bell peppers, sautéed or diced onions, tofu or tempeh, cabbage or fresh cilantro. Make it spicy by adding a few drops of your favorite hot sauce or a few slices of jalapeno peppers. Dice the avocado last to help keep it from turning brown.
- 1/4 cup brown basmati rice
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup tomato, diced
- 2 whole eggs
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cheese, grated
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1 flour tortilla wrap
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Prepare rice day before and keep refrigerated until ready to use. Heat in the microwave oven for about 30 seconds on high if desired. Set aside.
- Dice the tomato and set aside.
- Heat the beans in the microwave oven for about 30 seconds on high if desired. Set aside.
- Grate the cheese and set aside.
- Heat a medium nonstick pan on medium heat. Add eggs, season with salt and black pepper, and scramble them. Add cheese to the eggs during the last minute of cooking if desired. Set the eggs aside.
- Wipe out the pan and heat the tortillas in the pan to soften them.
- Dice the avocado and set aside.
- Assemble the burritos, using half of the ingredients in each one. Top with a few drops of hot sauce if using.
- Eat immediately or wrap the burritos in aluminum foil to help keep them warm.
Total time: 50 minutes Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 40 minutes (including 30 minutes for rice)
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Calories: 320 Fat: 14.5g Carbs: 31g Protein: 15g
We hope you enjoy this quick and nutritious recipe! For your guide to the best foods to heal your body, check out The Best Foods that Rapidly Slim & Heal in 7 Days, here!