Gathering friends and loved ones together to watch the Super Bowl is a time-honored tradition, and as with most celebrations, food plays a pivotal role in the experience. From nachos to pizza and everything in between, it’s easy to succumb to temptation and fall head first off the clean eating wagon.
As with all social gatherings, trying to adhere to a healthy lifestyle while still participating in the festivities can become a struggle. The key however to maintaining any healthy eating routine is balance, and ensuring that you are still able to enjoy treats in moderation. These sticky BBQ chicken wings are a clean eating Super Bowl savior. Packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory ingredients, these delicious wings taste even better than store bought with the added bonus of being free from sugar, gluten and other inflammatory nasties.
Simple to prepare, you can marinade the wings in advance either on the day or the night before. Simply bake them in the oven when required and you will be left with indulgently rich and sticky wings, without the guilt of a junk food binge. High on flavor but low on fuss, this is a fantastically healthy treat that the whole family can enjoy.
This recipe utilizes skin on chicken wings. A fantastic source of protein and an inexpensive cut of meat, this makes a great choice for feeding large groups of people. Opting for free range chicken is a far superior choice than conventionally raised chicken when it comes to nutrition. Aside from a better taste, free range chickens are able to forage and eat a natural diet. Conventionally raised chickens are reliant on heavily processed feed, antibiotics and unnatural living conditions. This directly affects our food, with the consumption of commercially raised meat being linked to inflammation and hormone disruption.
The classic smoky flavor of BBQ is brought to the dish by the addition of paprika. Not just an explosion of color and flavor, paprika is a potent anti-inflammatory spice. Rich in anti-oxidants, this powerful spice is documented to possess cancer preventative and heart protective properties.
Additional warmth is bought to the dish with a generous helping of freshly grated ginger. From reducing nausea to soothing the intestines, ginger is used therapeutically for its medicinal qualities. What’s more, it is loaded with anti-inflammatory compounds and shown to be highly beneficial to the digestive system.
A flavor staple in any dish, garlic not only provides the base notes to the marinating chicken, but also a whole host of powerful health benefits. From protecting against cancer to fighting the flu, garlic is a potent tool in your nutritional fight against disease and inflammation.
Cinnamon complements the other spices to bring an additional layer of warmth and sweetness to the dish. High in antioxidants, cinnamon boasts an array of health giving properties. Anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory, cinnamon is purported to support heart health as well as balance blood sugars.
No BBQ wings worth their salt would be without a sticky, caramelized glaze. This recipe calls for the use of honey to create that tantalizing sweet, gooey texture. Honey works incredibly well with cinnamon, not only in the flavor it brings to the dish, but therapeutically as well. As well as protecting against allergies, the glycemic index of honey is shown to be lowered when used in conjunction with cinnamon. Honey also helps to ease throat infections and acid reflux. To get the best out of your honey, try buying organic and local where possible.
This recipe provides 3-4 servings as part of your super bowl feast, or 2 as a main meal. A real crowd-pleasing dish, simply increase the quantities to cater for extra guests. In the unlikely event of leftovers, these wings also taste great re-heated the next day!
Sticky BBQ Baked Chicken Wings
8 free range chicken wings, skin on
2 tablespoons of honey
2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1 thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, grated
2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
1 teaspoon of chili powder
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of onion powder
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Add the chicken wings to a large bowl with 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, the garlic and ginger. Use your hands to massage the seasonings into the chicken wings ensuring they are completely coated in the marinade. Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinade for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 360 degrees Fahrenheit, 180 degrees Celsius.
- Remove the marinated wings from the fridge and arrange in a large oven proof dish. Place in the center of the oven to cook for 30 minutes, turning halfway through.
- While the wings are baking, heat the coconut oil in a medium pan over a low/medium heat.
- Once the oil is melted, add the remaining honey, paprika, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and onion powder.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, stirring regularly.
- Simmer gently for around 5 minutes until the liquid has reduced and you are left with a thick sticky BBQ sauce.
- Remove the wings from the oven and pour the BBQ sauce over them, ensuring they are evenly coated.
- Return the wings to the oven and bake for a further 15 minutes, turning halfway through.
- The wings should be piping hot through, sticky and caramelized.
- Serve with green salad or guacamole.
Prep time: 2 hours
Cook time: 45 minutes
Nutritional values per serving (2 wings)
If you want to feel healthier, reduce your risk for disease and lose weight during the process, then get your FREE copy of Cooking for Pain-Free Living.