This bell pepper and chickpea pate is the perfect dip for veggies or crackers. Serve it as an appetizer or enjoy as a snack.
CLICK HERE to watch the YouTube video.
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Hot paprika, to garnish
- Place the chickpeas in a bowl, and cover with water. Soak overnight.
- In the morning, rinse well and drain. Place in a pot, cover with water again and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, add the bay leaf and simmer for about 2 hours. When the beans are cooked through, remove from heat, drain and transfer to a food processor.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Rinse the bell pepper and pat dry. Cut into halves, and remove the core and seeds. Brush with a little bit of olive oil, pierce some holes with a fork and place on a baking dish, cut side down. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until soft.
- Remove from the oven and place in a paper bag until it cools down. Take off the skin and slice.
- Add the pepper slices to the food processor. Bring in all the other ingredients and process until smooth. If you want a thinner consistency, add a few tablespoons of water.
- Sprinkle hot paprika and drizzle some more olive oil to serve.
- Enjoy it with vegetable sticks or buckwheat crackers.
Total time: 2 hours, 50 minutes (plus soak time) Prep time: 20 minutes (plus soak time) Cook time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Calories: 169 Fat: 7g Carbs: 22g Protein: 7g
For more delicious and healthy recipes, check out our free Labor Day Cookbook, here!