Tomato soup is a staple in many households, but have you ever made it from scratch? This simple recipe uses fresh vegetables and brings them together for the perfect, comforting tomato soup.
CLICK HERE to watch the YouTube video.
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 carrot
- 1/3 cup celeriac
- 1 parsnip
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cups water
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil leaves, to serve
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Place the tomatoes on the tray. If they are too big, cut them in half.
- Cut the bell peppers into halves and remove the core. Also, place on the baking tray.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes at 400 F until the skin gets slightly charred. Remove from the oven and place in paper bags for 10 minutes, which will make it easier to peel them.
- While the tomatoes and bell peppers are roasting, chop the garlic, onion, carrot, celeriac and parsnip roughly.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot and sauté the onion for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add all the remaining vegetables to the pot, and add the water.
- Bring everything to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and let cool a little bit.
- Add the peeled tomatoes and bell peppers to the pot and use an immersion blender to puree the soup. If it is too thick, bring some water to a boil and add it to the pot.
- Season with salt, black pepper, turmeric and ginger.
- Top with fresh basil leaves to serve.
Total time: 90 minutes Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 70 minutes
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Calories: 157 Fat: 8g Carbs: 22g Protein: 3.6g
For more delicious summer recipes, check out the Summer Harvest Cookbook, here!