Some snacks and meals leave us feeling unfulfilled and hungry again half an hour later. This tuna bowl recipe is full of quality protein, healthy fats and energy-rich carbohydrates to fill you up and keep you going. Plus, this entire dish takes only 10 minutes from start to finish, so you can make it on the go and stay energized.
Canned tuna is not only convenient, but tuna is full of health benefits too. Tuna contains heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids which have been shown to lower blood pressure, reduce triglycerides, slow the build-up of plaque in the arteries and reduce the likelihood of heart attack and stroke. The potassium in tuna has been linked to helping lower blood pressure, which combined with the omega-3 fatty acids, creates an anti-inflammatory effect on the cardiovascular system. Tuna contains manganese, zinc, vitamin C and selenium, which help support the immune system and act as antioxidants to protect us from diseases like cancer. Tuna has B vitamins which help keep our bones strong and our skin looking healthy.
Unlocking the Health Secrets of Avocados: A Nutrient-Rich Powerhouse for Well-Being
Avocados have been growing in popularity, and rightfully so. They are rich in vitamin K, folate, and vitamin C. Avocados are cholesterol and sodium free and are low in saturated fat. They are also loaded with fiber, which is indigestible plant material with numerous health benefits. Moreover, fiber helps regulate blood sugar levels, keeps you full and helps keep your digestive system healthy. Moreover, avocados contain monounsaturated fatty acids which have been shown to reduce inflammation and have beneficial effects on genes linked to cancer.
This tuna bowl recipe combines other healthy ingredients such as lemon juice, nutrient-rich purple cabbage, hydrating cucumbers and antioxidant-packed radishes. Moreover, you can feel good about what’s in your bowl with this meal, and fill yourself up to keep going with your day.
- 1/2 cup olive oil or avocado oil mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 6-ounce BPA-free cans wild tuna
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 avocados, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumbers
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes, optional
- black sesame seeds, for garnish, optional
- sliced green onions, for garnish, optional
1. In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise and hot sauce. Remove 1/4 cup mixture to a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Fold in tuna, salt and black pepper into the mayonnaise mixture. Stir well.
3. Toss avocado with lime juice. Divide among 4 bowls. Into bowls, divide cabbage, tuna mixture, cucumber and radishes, if using.
4. Drizzle reserved mayonnaise mixture over bowls. Garnish with seeds and green onions, if using.
Total time: 10 minutes Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: None
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Calories: 529 Fat: 44g Carbs: 10g Fiber: 7g Protein: 27g
This recipe is a personal favourite here at the Exercises for Injuries office. We are grateful to be able to share this meal with you, and we hope you try it out and enjoy it as much as we do!
Before you leave, make sure to pick up your free copy of our Pain-Free Living Cookbook, here!