The Dirty Dozen – The 12 Scariest Food Additives You’re Eating Right Now – Part 2
In part 1 of this article, 6 scary food additives were discussed: azodicarbonamide, propylene glycol, saccharin, red #40, sodium nitrate and potassium bromate. Were these food items that you have seen as ingredients in some of the foods you are currently eating? Yes, shocking, probably …. but the good news is that knowing about these scary and toxic food substances means that you can NOW do something about them, right? YES, you can! “What can I do?”, you might wonder …. well…. for starters, you could get rid to these food additives from your diet or begin to eliminate foods that contain such food items. Thousands of substances, including man-made substances, are added to the foods and drinks we consume . We NEED to be more aware of what these substances are, especially the MAN-MADE SUBSTANCES.
So, we covered the first 6 scariest food additives in Part 1 of the article. Now, let’s get to the rest of the dirty dozen. Let’s discuss the next 6 scariest additives that you might be EATING right NOW. Do your best to also AVOID these other 6 food additives including artificial coloring and artificial sweeteners:
7. Aspartame. This is another artificial sweetener that is linked to cancer and said to be an excitotoxin. It is known to bring on a bout of headaches or make people dizzy. You may also notice an onset of blurry vision and this could be intermittent too. Hence, it could go unnoticed initially. However, if you consume foods and drinks that contain aspartame and you “suddenly” develop a headache afterwards, this could be as a result of the presence of this artificial sweetener. We should not develop headaches if we consume foods we were meant to naturally eat. If we act “against nature” by consuming substances that act “against nature”, is it possible that that very item or food additive could also be having a parade in our tummy and acting “against nature” in there as well? Just saying …. it seems pretty creepy and scary to me.
8. Paraben. Do you like moldy foods and drinks? No … well, me neither! Yes, it does seem that this artificial stuff has the purpose of generally keeping the bad things away, including mold, bacteria, spoilage, etc. However, again I ask you my friend – at WHAT COST to our health do we decide to consume these artificial additives. Parabens actually stops the mold from forming and thus, keeps the food looking and possibly feeling and tasting fresher longer. Yes … initially, this may seem quite desirable. However, hold that thought and ponder …. just for a moment. Actually, the more I think about it, the more it CREEPS ME OUT!! Of course, there is a cancer-theme we see with most of these additives and yes, there have been linkages between parabens and the occurrence of breast cancer .
9. Carnauba Wax. Again, the name speaks for itself. It does not feel like something we should be CONSUMING, especially knowing the forms that wax can take. With a little heat and warmth, wax melts and flows or looks shiny and attractive. However, when cooled down, wax can become solid and potentially obstructive as well. Hence, IMAGINE this cool wax embedded in that shiny food product. It looks quite attractive when you see the food, right? Yes, but the problem begins when this wax sticks to your tummy and intestinal walls. There are also linkages between Carnauba wax and tumors or the occurrence of cancer as well. What are examples of products that you may find using Carnauba wax as an ingredient? Chewing gum is a big culprit and the wax helps to solidify the coating on the chewing gum plus give it a nice shiny finish.
10. Enriched Flour. This makes me cringe as well because in can be EVERYWHERE. I mean, it looks like flour and feels like flour. However, it’s not naturally-occurring. No, it’s ENRICHED flour. Do tell why this flour would need to be enriched? Sometimes, the answers are right in front of us but we don’t notice or stop to consider the facts. I have one word you need to consider and constantly remind yourself of … and the word is PROCESSING. This activity occurs when food items are transformed from one state or form to another. When you see the words “enriched flour” on the label of any food product, you may think that this is always GOOD for you, right? Not RIGHT! WRONG!! The enriched flour does not always mean that you are getting good stuff. Actually, during the processing of these types of “enriched” flours, most of the nutritional compositions of the grains from which these flours are processed have been washed away, leaving the residual flour completely or almost completely depleted of its natural nutritional base. What a terrible idea! With about 65% of American adults overweight , we can imagine what part flour played in this bleak picture.
11. Sucralose. This is another artificial food sweetener and it may be more commonly known to many as Splenda. It may be used to provide sweetness for foods and drinks including pastries, other sorts of baked products, beverages, sodas, coffee, iced-tea and much more. Two things that some food producers and marketers try to sell to consumers is convenience and reduced calorie count. So, marketing sucralose as a reduced calorie sugar alternative is one way that consumers may be attracted to this substance. However, there can be a price to pay when using or consuming artificial sweeteners like sucralose. As much as is possible, do not consume overly processed food items and drinks because you get little or no nutritional rewards for doing so and some of these sugar alternatives are used to process these items. So, you end up with calorie-dense food or drink items and foods or drinks high in additions such as sucralose. Basically, all the calories in this food item are from sugar and mainly provide no nutritional value . Calories from sugar do not do much for your health.
12. Caramel Coloring. This is a food coloring that may be found in foods and drinks that are in your KITCHEN right now!! It is a very popular food coloring with wide applicability including in foods like breads and other baked goods. Also, you could see caramel coloring being used in drinks like sodas. If you think about that RICH, BROWNISH color that certain foods and drinks have, you are probably realizing that indeed these items may not have their natural or unprocessed colors. Food and drink marketers typically spend significant effort in making their foods and drink look appealing and attractive. One method of doing this includes using attractive or “more pleasant” coloring. For example, if a drink looks deadly or pale brown and lacks any desirability, there is the increased likelihood that the drink will not do well in the marketplace. Hence, food and drink marketers are able to turn the tables around by using this artificial coloring. Yes, lots of changes can occur before a food item or drink ends up in your home, kitchen or fridge!!
To recap, let’s list the dirty dozen food additives, colorings and sweeteners that we have mentioned and discussed. These 12 scary and toxic food items are: azodicarbonamide, propylene glycol, saccharin, red #40, sodium nitrate, potassium bromate, aspartame, paraben, Camauba wax, enriched flour, sucralose and caramel coloring. Now, if you are not careful regarding the items you consume, you shouldn’t expect that others will be there to always help you or keep you out of harm’s way. BUT …. I am on your side … and I think that the more informed you are about these very scary additions to your foods and drinks, the more conscious you’ll be about what you’re eating and drinking. Listen, it can add up over time … those seemingly minute or seemingly insignificant quantities of these food additives, artificial colorings and artificial sweeteners that we consume over time CAN ADD UP and eventually begin to manifest in ways we may not like.
You may have noticed the carcinogen and cancer related themes that kept creeping up with many of these substances. Some of the additives are certainly not hidden and can appear on the list of ingredients of the food item or drink. Thus, one thing you could do is take the time to read the food or drink label PROPERLY, especially the list of ingredients. This could help you filter out items that you should NOT be buying or consuming. You can also learn more about toxic foods and the dark side of nutrition labels . The more processed the foods and drinks you are consuming are, the more likely that you’ll be consuming one of these terrible and scary food additives.
Want to learn more about healty foods then check out Slim & Heal In 7 Days
Rick Kaselj, MS