Chermoula is a marinade and relish used in Algerian, Libyan, Moroccan and Tunisian cooking. This dish combines a multitude of delicious spices to create a deeply flavourful and satisfying meal. This chicken dish is baked and not fried, so you can avoid unhealthy oils and saturated fats. Pair this chicken with rice, potatoes or vegetables for a complete meal. Enjoy this delicious recipe of roasted chicken and fresh spices.
CLICK HERE to watch the YouTube video.
Chicken is the most eaten meat in America, and for good reason. Chicken is tasty, relatively inexpensive and extremely versatile, making it easy to add to many dishes. The nutritional profile of chicken depends on the cut you are eating, such as dark meat (chicken thighs or drumsticks) or white meat (chicken breast). Chicken is extremely rich in lean protein and low in fat (based on skinless chicken breasts). It is also relatively low in calories and has very little saturated fat. Saturated fat is linked with increased cholesterol levels and heart disease. Chicken contains B vitamins, iron, zinc and copper. The American Heart Association recommends that people eat more lean protein like chicken and fish over red meat. Most people vastly overestimate the amount of meat they need to eat, when usually a serving about the size of a deck of cards is all you need.
Turmeric has many scientifically proven health benefits, such as preventing heart disease, Alzheimer’s and cancer. It is a strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. Turmeric has even been linked with improving depression symptoms and arthritis.
- 4 chicken pieces (leg quarters)
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a food processor, blend the onion, garlic, and fresh herbs.
- In a bowl, combine the blended mixture with all the spices. Add the olive oil and lemon juice. Mix well to form a yellow paste.
- Make light scores on the chicken pieces to allow the chermoula marinade to penetrate well. Season the chicken with salt and rub the chermoula paste thoroughly all over the chicken. Marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet and sprinkle with black pepper. Roast the chicken for 40 minutes.
- Allow chicken to rest 10 minutes before serving.
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour, plus marinating time COOK TIME: 40 minutes PREP TIME: 10 minutes
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Calories: 334 Fat: 27g Carbs: 4g Protein: 18g
There is nothing like a warm, home cooked meal during the cold Winter months. We hope you are inspired to try out this recipe and share it with your family and friends.
Get 15 Hearty Recipes to Warm Your Belly This Winter With Our New Anti-Inflammatory Cookbook, here!