A person’s sex drive can be affected by many factors. A change in your sex drive can happen at any age — to men and women alike. Low testosterone levels are sometimes the cause of low libido in both men and women. However, when a low sex drive isn’t caused by a major medical issue, there are several natural ways to help you light a spark in the bedroom and increase your sex drive.
1. Sexy Foods
It isn’t just folklore that claims certain foods can act as aphrodisiacs. Some foods can help you heat things up in the bedroom:
- Figs: In the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve covered their nakedness up with fig leaves. I suppose that’s one use for the plant. However, figs contain amino acids that can help increase sex drive in healthy adults. A study published in the International Journal of Impotence Research found that certain amino acids increase the body’s production of nitric oxide. Nitric oxide regulates blood flow into and around the genitals. Firmer erections are achieved with better blood flow for men. For women increased blood flow can result in heightened sensitivity during sex.
- Watermelon: Watermelon, particularly the rind, is an excellent source of citrulline, another amino acid that aids in blood flow to the nether regions. While watermelon rind may not sound appealing, many people like to eat it pickled or blend it into a smoothie. Moreover, the outermost green layer can be peeled away. Moreover, it’s the white part between the red flesh and the green layer that contains the most concentrated amount of citrulline.
- Hot peppers: The capsaicin in hot peppers promotes the body’s release of endorphins that help you to get in the mood.
- Avocados: Rich in good fats, the avocado has been known for centuries to increase sex drive in men and women. Most experts think it is the healthy fats that help the body adequately produce sex hormones. They’re also a good source of vitamin B6, folic acid and potassium — all of which increase the production of male hormones and provide sustained energy.
- Pine nuts: Adding zinc to the diet can boost the libido — especially for men. Moreover, pine nuts contain loads of zinc. Enjoy pine nuts right out of the container or use them to make a fresh pesto sauce.
- Fish: Consider eating more fish. A 2018 study in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism showed that couples who ate more fish had sex more frequently than those who ate less.
- Goji berries: Try this one at home folks. Goji berries have been used to treat low libido in both men and women in Asian countries for eons. An ancient Chinese proverb warns men that if they are traveling more than 600 miles away from home, they should avoid eating the goji berry to preserve marital fidelity. Moreover, the goji berry, often found dried, can increase testosterone production and promote sexual desire.
- Oatmeal: While oatmeal may not sound like a very sexy food, it contains an amino acid that works similarly to Viagra. Moreover, L-arginine is the amino acid found in oatmeal. L-arginine helps to relax the muscles around the genitals, which promotes proper dilation and an increased flow of blood to the sexual organs. Better blood flow means better erections for men and heightened sensitivity for women.
2. Sexy Drinks
Just as there are plenty of foods that will increase your sex drive, certain drinks can do it too:
- Ginseng tea: Chinese medical practitioners have been prescribing ginseng for low libido for centuries. It can help restore blood flow to the penis in men and improve erectile dysfunction. For women, ginseng can help increase sexual desire during menopause.
- Pomegranate juice: Pomegranate juice has long been known as an effective aphrodisiac. Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh put out a study of both men and women who drank pomegranate juice during a two-week period. A majority of people from both genders, who participated in the study, had increased sexual desire and a surge in testosterone levels. The pomegranate juice also caused the participant’s blood pressure levels to decrease.
- Ginger tea: Another drink that can increase blood flow to the nether regions is ginger tea. Dr. Mehmet Oz recently named ginger as one of his top four most effective libido boosters. Ginger tea is warming to the body. It can warm things up in the bedroom.
- Green tea: The amazing antioxidants known as catechins in green tea promote the release of nitric oxide in the body. The nitric oxide release improves blood flow to the genitals for a heightened sexual experience.
3. Sexy Herbs, Spice, and Roots
Certain herbs, spices, and roots can help you get aroused and enjoy sex more:
- Cloves: Cloves warm the body and increase blood flow to the genitals. You can use a bit of cloves in sweet or savory dishes to increase your sex drive.
- Garlic: Another spice that promotes blood flow below the belt is garlic. Moreover, garlic is a potent aphrodisiac. However, don’t use it if you’re trying to hook up with a vampire.
- Saffron: Antonio Ferraro, the author of “Libido Fuel, ” wrote, “Saffron contains the chemical picrocrocin, a chemical that makes your body, especially sexual organs, more sensitive to the touch. Picrocrocin heightens the perception of tactile sensations.”
- Maca: Clinical trials and other research has shown that maca root can increase sex drive, improve erectile dysfunction and even treat infertility in males.
The testosterone hormone plays a key role in the level of sexual desire for men and women. Dr. Madeleine Castellanos, the author of “Wanting to Want,” wrote, “Since your body can only replenish its reserves by sleeping when you deprive it of its rest, it starts to take shortcuts. In order to deal with the stress, it will increase your cortisol levels and slow down your thyroid, which both end up decreasing testosterone production.”
A good night’s rest is important for your sexual health and drive. Make sure you are logging around eight solid hours of sleep to get the most out of your libido.
5. Sex Preparation
Create routines to help get your mind in the gutter. A certain lotion you put on specifically before sex, lighting candles, a little Marvin Gaye playing in the bedroom — all of these small preparations can help you get into the mood. moreover, watching the evening news or balancing the checkbook might have the opposite effect. Keep it light and prepare for sexual intimacy.
6. Stimulating Aromas
Essential oils are wonderful for setting a mood and promoting an ideal atmosphere for lovemaking. Ylang ylang is an age-old aphrodisiac that should calm your stress and put you in the mood for sex. Similarly, Jasmine, clary sage and rose oil can help set the stage for intimacy. Try making a blend of any or all of these oils and cutting it with olive oil to administer during a message. Alternatively, use an essential oil diffuser to fill the room with an air of sensuality.
7. Act Sexy
There’s an old saying: “Sex starts in the kitchen.” It’s sort of true. If you barely look at your partner all day then expect to feel amorous once bedtime rolls around, you might be disappointed.
Touch your partner. Rub his shoulders while you watch TV. Kiss her when she passes by. Hold hands when you’re walking into church together. Grab his tush when no one’s looking. Moreover, a little flirting and a lot of touching throughout the day will foster a better sense of togetherness and usher in some anticipation for a good night of passion.
8. Sexy Supplements
Certain supplements can be quite helpful for improving your sex drive. Make sure you are taking care of your sexual health each day with a variety of libido-boosting vitamins and supplements.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is excellent for all sorts of bodily functions. Add your sex drive to the list. Vitamin C helps with the synthesis of sex hormones in the body. Taking vitamin C can help you get in the mood.
- Vitamin E: Some call vitamin E the sex vitamin because it not only increases the production of your hormones, but it also improves blood flow to the genitals.
- Magnesium: Moreover, evidence suggests that magnesium improves your libido and sexual performance. It helps to relax your blood vessels, which increases blood flow and sexual desire.
- Zinc: You cannot produce testosterone without zinc. If you aren’t getting enough zinc in your diet, your sex life will suffer.
- Selenium: Selenium is essential for semen production and stamina in sex. Men lose selenium every time they ejaculate. So, it’s important to take this supplement for better sexual health.
- Fish oil: Want better orgasms? Research indicates that fish oil supplements can help women enjoy their orgasms more. Fish oil can also help women to regain their libido when it seems lost.
Improve Your Sex Drive
While taking prescription medicine to improve your sex drive may seem like a fine idea, there are often unwanted side effects that cause problems outside of the bedroom. Consider our list of natural ways to boost your libido and have more fun in bed.
For your guide to the best foods to heal your body, check out The Best Foods that Rapidly Slim & Heal in 7 Days, here!