This past weekend, we had friends over for a visit.
We started the morning off with a visit to the farmers market, then we took our dogs to the dog park.
You can see my big dog on the left, CoCo. He just loves to go to the dog park and play stick in the water.
When we came back, we had soba noodle stir-fry for dinner. It was so good.
You can get the recipe here.
Today, we have shared a recipe for a gluten-free stir fry that is ready in less than 30 minutes, making it perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.
Use leftover cooked meats, such as turkey or chicken, and mix in any vegetables you have available.
Read the label to make sure that the soba noodles don’t contain wheat, or use other gluten-free noodles. (Gluten is not great for your joints. Do what you can to minimize or eliminate it.)
If you follow a soy-free diet, omit the soy sauce (try balsamic vinegar as it adds both color and flavor).
Soba Noodle Stir-fry
What you will need:
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (optional)
- 1 (8 oz) packet 100% buckwheat soba noodles
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 ½ tablespoon sesame seed oil, divided
- 1 skinless chicken breast, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 small sweet potato, diced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- ¼ cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
How to Prepare
- Heat ½ tablespoon oil in a small skillet and cook the eggs to a scramble-state. Shred and set aside.
- Cook the noodles according to packet instructions (should be slightly undercooked, or “al dente”. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together arrowroot powder, orange juice, honey, pepper flakes, soy sauce, and lime juice. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil in a wok or large heavy bottom skillet and add the diced chicken breast. Cook, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes or until browned.
- Add garlic and ginger to the wok. Stir and add carrots, sweet potato and zucchini. Cook until the vegetables are tender, then pour in the arrowroot powder and orange juice mix. Add the shredded egg and cooked soba noodles. Toss lightly and remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with chopped scallions and cilantro.
Nutrition facts per serving (270 g):
|calories 350| total carbs 61 g| protein 16 g| total fat 7 g | sodium 797 mg| cholesterol 13 mg|
If you liked the above recipe, then you will love to learn about foods in Slim & Heal:
Rick Kaselj, MS