Kids do the craziest things.
Last night, the kids were playing in the backyard pond.
It was great seeing the kids outside playing.
The cute little pond is full of tadpoles so they were catching them and wanted to raise them as frogs.
All was cute until, “Dad, Cole wanted to see if the tadpoles can swim in the hot tub so he threw a few of them in it. Is that okay?”
== END OF CUTENESS ==
I had to go fish out the tadpoles out of the hot tub and try to save them.
Looking at what I have for you today.
While make dinner, I love snacking on veggies and hummus. So I have an appetizing twist on the traditional hummus and guacamole.
It makes a tasty and healthy snack served with freshly cut vegetables, such as cucumber, broccoli and cauliflower florets, celery stalks, radishes and baby carrots.
Sprinkle with Cayenne pepper for an extra kick.
Spicy Avocado Hummus
What You Will Need:
- 1 (14-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 ripe small avocados, pitted and peeled
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons sesame paste (tahini)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon canned chipotle peppers, diced (optional)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
How to Prepare:
- Place chickpeas, sundried tomatoes, avocados, lime juice and sesame paste in the food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add ground cumin, chipotle peppers, if using, garlic, 2 tablespoons olive oil and ground coriander and process to a smooth paste.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve with crudités of choice. (Crudités are traditional French appetizers consisting of sliced or whole raw vegetables which are sometimes dipped in a vinaigrette or other dipping sauce. Use it with your friends to sound smart.)
Nutrition facts per serving (80 g):
Rick Kaselj, MS
P.S. – I know you are wondering if the tadpoles survived their swim in the hot tub. Two made it back to the pond and two did not. Now go enjoy the “Spicy Avocado Hummus”.